CLEAR Global partners with Oxfam for Ukraine crisis response
Garden City, ID, USA, August 15, 2022 – CLEAR Global, a nonprofit helping people get vital information and be heard, whatever language they speak, is thrilled to announce our new partnership with Oxfam. With Oxfam’s generous support, CLEAR Global will continue providing free language and communication support to eligible organizations helping people affected by the Ukraine crisis.
This is a complex, multilingual crisis. When the conflict began, CLEAR Global launched an appeal to raise the funds necessary for the initial stages of our response. Thanks to various donations received during the first months of the crisis, we raised $120,000, which enabled us to:
- Implement free language support program for 31 organizations helping people affected by the crisis,
- Complete 178 projects by translating over 1.3 million words of lifesaving content, such as safeguarding and protection against sexual exploitation, into 35 languages with the support of over 419 active community members,
- Conduct cross-border research for improved two-way communication between refugees and host countries, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, Romania, and Germany,
- Start building a Ukraine Response team that will focus exclusively on our further Ukraine activities,
- Provide better technical support to our community members who translated vital information,
- Deliver necessary language data, resources, and educational materials available free of charge to anyone helping people in and fleeing Ukraine, and more.
Aimee Ansari, CLEAR Global CEO visited Ukraine and Poland, where she met with government officials and NGO representatives. She said “The immediate support we received was crucial for our Ukraine efforts. We accomplished a lot, and there’s so much more to do. The need for our language solutions increases as the Ukraine conflict goes on. We’re thinking and acting quickly to be able to sustain and help people get vital information they need so much right now, and planning for the future. While we are responding to the Ukraine crisis, we are also mindful of the millions of others around the world, who also need our support.”
CLEAR Global’s language and communication assessments in Ukraine and surrounding countries showed gaps in the existing information distribution channels. Many weren’t adapted for a humanitarian context or available in multilingual formats. With the funds received from Oxfam, we’ll be able to provide much better language support and language technology solutions to help prevent this from negatively impacting efficient aid. CLEAR Global will also keep advocating to raise awareness of the importance of language and communication in a crisis. We are sincerely thankful to Oxfam for enabling us to do all of this to support people affected by the Ukraine crisis.
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global is a nonprofit helping people get vital information and be heard, whatever language they speak. With innovative language technology solutions, research, and a community of over 100,000 people, CLEAR Global supports partner organizations working in various contexts around the world. CLEAR Global is set to improve global communication and information access for marginalized people.
For media inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support CLEAR Global’s work here: https://clearglobal.org/donate/.
Oxfam is a global movement of people who are fighting inequality to end poverty and injustice. Across regions, from the local to the global, they work with people to bring change that lasts.
Their work is grounded in the commitment to the universality of human rights. Driven by diversity and founding asks in evidence and experience, Oxfam fights poverty and injustice everywhere.
To learn more, visit https://www.oxfam.org/.